[DeTomaso] rocker arm alignment

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 23:46:38 EDT 2012

That looks like an adjustment problem.

If you loosen the rocker studs, you can adjust the rockers left/right by
moving the guide plate.

I would only cut/reweld the guide plate after I've confirmed that the ones
I had could not be adjusted.  For that matter, if it's off so bad you
can't adjust them, I'd get another brand of guide plates.  They are pretty
inexpensive.

Also check that the pushrods do not rub anywhere - through their full
travel.  It is pretty common for them to bind on the rocker arms or on the
heads themselves (the holes cut through the heads for the pushrods).

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't take it back to the builder.  This is an
easy fix, and you'll do it better than he will - since it's your baby.