[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 98, Issue 17-SUNDAY DRIVE

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Mon Sep 17 20:56:02 EDT 2012

I ran Amsoil's new Break-In oil for about 1,100 miles and had it
changed in Ely on my way through to Las Vegas.  Now it has Amsoil
15-50 Racing Synthetic.  I'm running an Armando 10-qt pan.

The engine ran great!  At 120 MPH on the speedo, oil pressure was
good.  I don't appear to be using any oil and there are no drips under
the car and no smoke out the exhaust that I can see. (I'll check plugs
in a couple weeks after I get back home).

I'm also running Amsoil Coolant Boost in the cooling system; about one
and a half bottles.  The engine ran nice and cool, probably at or near
the 196 the thermostat is rated at.  The gauge was steady every single
time I checked it, with no apparent increase in temp at 120.  It has a
new Fluidyne 5-row radiator and sucker fans.

The Ford stamped Holley List emissions carb on the car is rated at
about 620 cfm.  I didn't seem to have any fuel starvation problems at
120 MPH, about 4,500 RPM.  At that speed it felt easy to pull more, in
fact I did a couple of times accidentally (eased up toward 125 without
realizing it).  The carb sits on top a Blue Thunder 4145 dual plane
aluminum intake with a half-inch spacer.  A K&N Triangular shaped 3"
air cleaner sits on top.  The engine seems to breath very well.

I now need a good set of headers and exhaust.  :)

Asa Jay