[DeTomaso] Upgrade List

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 12:14:22 EDT 2012

See below
On Sep 16, 2012 11:09 AM, "Stephen Nelson" <steve at snclocks.com> wrote:

> David, Michael and Ron – thank you for your thoughts and experience on
making these cares reliable.

> My goal is to buy a car that has already been made very drivable – so I
am in effect looking for a punch list of the things that will likely need
rectified to make the car reliable.  As Michael points out, it can get
expensive in a hurry taking care of the niggling things that can strand one
– and, unfortunately, resale prices don’t cover all the really valuable
work that enthusiasts do to make their cars better.

> Reminds me of the old question – is a restored car more valuable than an
original?  While the answer obviously depends on what a buyer wants (and
whether there is another person at the auction that will push the buyer to
his limit), reality is that restoring a car in the price range demanded by
Pantera’s is typically a money loosing proposition.

> Between your three’s posts, and what I am gleaning by following this
forum I am beginning to understand what I want on a car that I will
ultimately use for long distance driving.  Having already done all the work
myself to make my ’69 XKE as bullet proof as I can, I really want to find a
car that has already been upgraded, and has covered at least most of the
issues raised by you gentlemen.

> One question covering an item not on the lists - Does one typically need
to replace the original coolant pipes with stainless?  I would think they
could be corroded as well as have significant build-up in them?

> After compiling what I have seen so far, this is my list:
>

> Fuel System

Clean it, new filter, see what happens.

> Manifold and carburetor

If original, replace.

> Fuel hoses

Replace

> Vacuum hoses

Replace

> Engine belts

Replace and carry spares

> Brakes

Refurbish

> Rebuild brake system

Yes

> Upgrade front rotors to Mustang vented

Why?

Wait to see how yours work, if you are eventually vetting bigger wheels,
then at that time, buy bigger brakes.

> Stainless brake lines
>
>  yes
>
> Emergency brake cable

Does the old one work? Mine does.

> Clutch slave and flush system

Yes

> Electrical
>

> Replace fuse box
>
>  yes
>
> Replace ignition switch
>
>  if it doesn't work, for way less money, I have a push button starter.
And if you're belted up, you can't reach the stock ignition switch.

> Update alternator
>
>  if needed, see what you got.
>
> If leaving amp meter - add a circuit breaker
>
>  sure
>
> MSD Distributor
>
>  yes
>

> Tach adaptor
>
>  yes
>
> Wires and plugs
>
> Door seals

If needed

> Suspension
>

> Suspension bushings.
>
>  yes
>
> Shocks
>
>  if yours are bad, you can spend a middle amount to and obscene amount
here.

> Rear suspension lower pivots - often seized
>
>  nah
>
> Rebuild steering rack
>
>  if needed,
>
> Rear axle bearings
>
>  if needed
>

> Billet axles
>
>  no!
>
> Look at wheel offset and make sure not causing steering challenge
>
> Cooling
>

> Aluminum radiator and new fans
>
>  no, a cleaned stock unit or thick Hall brass is better, use AL if you
accept they are throw away units.

> Heater core boil or replace
>
>  what heater?
>
> Radiator cap
>
>  yes
>
> Flush cooling system
>
>  yes

1 bottle of water wetter
1 gallon of 100% peak
2 gallons of distilled water

> Radiator temperature switch
>
>  sure
>
> Radiator hoses
>
> Tranny/Differential
>

> Second gear syncro
>
>  if needed
>
> Higher final drive ratio

Why unless you plan on OR events
or driving long distances for 20,000 a year. Do the math, the gas savings
versus the $4,000 cost.

> Deck lid shocks

It they won't stay up

> A/C core

If it doesn't work

> Recover seats
>
>  ok

Michael Shortt

> Again, thank you all for taking the time to give me your thoughts!
>

> Stephen Nelson
>

> SNClocks.com
>
> Click here for our new Hammered Dulcimers website
>
> Click here for my new blog on finding happiness in retirement
>

> ________________________________

car, but one that the previous owner had done everything possible to not
spend money on. Still,  it was relatively rust free, ok paint and the older
2 pod dash that I was after.

> Since then my priority is mechanical first, beauty second.  I tend to do
more than I really need to to just drive it, but here's my experience:

> Before the list scares you off,  I should say that I drove the car home
for 300 miles, so it was driveable, but it was 40 years old drivable, was
not reliabe, and not tight.

> Lastly,  all said and done,  I feel the cars are significantly
undervalued.  I was comparing this to a Ferrari of the same kind of money
and IMHO the Pantera is much more car.

> What I have done:
>

> 1) Replace everything rubber - hoses, belt, brake piston seals, tires
door seals, etc.

> 2) Rebuild brakes - stock brakes aren't bad for street use once rebuilt
>
> 3) Replace e brake cable
>
> 4) Replace fuel and vacumm lines
>
> 5) Replace suspection bushing
>
> 6) Replace shocks if not done already
>
> 7) Replace clutch slave and flush out the old fluid
>
> 8) Update alternator
>
> 9) New rad if not already aluminium
>
> 10) Replace rad caps and flush system
>
> 10) New rad temp switch
>
> 11) Steering rack rebuild (not done yet on my car)
>
> 12)  2nd gear syncro - not done but needed
>
> 13) Rear suspension lower bushing up uprights seized.
>
> 14) Rear axle bearing shot - I went to billet axles, but only because I
plan for more power later.  1 bearing was spun

http://www.snclocks.com/TheRestofourWorld/Hammered-Dulcimers/About-Steves-D