[DeTomaso] Alternator found

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Fri Sep 14 08:52:22 EDT 2012

I rebuilt my tractor this past summer. I put a disconnect so if the
tractor sits for a long time I can disconnect the battery.

When I got done with the build I failed to secure the alternator cable; it
was still loose. By the end of the mowing the battery smelled funny and
the amp meter showed it overcharging.

I got a voltmeter out to check and the battery voltage was a little high.
I disconnected the battery cutoff to check the voltage and it jumped to
40-90 volts. I turned the battery cutoff back on then tried to move the
tractor back to the shop. It died before I got it there.

It took me a little bit to unwind the chain of events but the loose wire
on the alternator took out the voltage regulator which began to overcharge
the battery. When I disconnected the battery there was nothing to absorb
the high voltage and it then took out the Pertronix.