[DeTomaso] Voltage gauge

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 14:52:48 EDT 2012

    I switched to white face SW gauges which I think fit the overally appearance of the car.  I really like Autometer gauges in general, but their 5 inch white face speedo and tach don't look right to me, just my opinion.

    I thought the amp gauge is really just a voltage gauge measuring the very small voltage difference across the shunted posts (a very low resistance shunt)?  I wonder if you knew enough if you could just run small wires from the opposite ends of the large wire connected to the alternator, to the amp gauge?  If you match the resistance in the shunt, you should get the same result?  Just measure the resistance of the shunt and the alternator cable and see how close they are

    Bill, does this make any sense?

Ken