[DeTomaso] Voltage gauge

Dennis Sanford dennis617 at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 13:22:48 EDT 2012

Mike,

Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that you don't always know when the
wires have loosened or the contacts have become slightly corroded.  I had
smoke start coming from my dashboard while I was driving, you never saw
someone move so fast as I stopped the car, jumped out, opened the front
trunk and ripped the battery cables off with my bare hands to stop the car
from going up in flames.  The second gauge I had years later got so hot that
it melted the plastic insulators and eventually shorted out the gauge.  With
a voltmeter you don't have any of these overheating problems, you are just
reading the voltage in the system not the current draw going through the
gauge.