[DeTomaso] Alternator found

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Thu Sep 13 12:55:33 EDT 2012

The Pantera seems to have *long* runs of wire between important points.

>>> Yes, it does.

Is it correct that given a "normal" Pantera, the stock Pantera wiring harness
is up the task?

>>> The original wiring is fine for an unmolested (or slightly electrically modified) Pantera.

I think that it is correct that if you significantly up the current (amps) with same diameter
wire and the long distances, then you run the risk of increased heat from the resistance of that
length of inadequately sized wire.  Is that right?

>>> Yes.

Short of pulling the Pantera wiring harness and re-wiring
the whole thing to tolerate any sized mondo amperage and alternator,
what is the highest rational amperage alternator that one could use?

>>> The original electrical system was designed to handle the designed loads with a 60 amp alt.
The 60 amp alt had enough output to take care of the original loads plus a "reserve" (20 - 25%)
to charge the battery.  IMO, a 60 amp is "safe", although a 75 amp alt would be ok IF the "extra"
current (amps) would only be used for a very short duration (kind of hard to control that).  This
would be for an unmodified (or very slightly modified) electrical system.  The alternator should NOT
be used for charging a low battery.

If 40 amps were conducted (continuously) through an 8 AWG (gauge) wire, the conductor (wire) and its
insulation would eventually be heated to 60* C (140* F), based on an ambient temp of 30* C (86* F).
There are other variables that come in play (for the temp), but this is very close, and should help.
A current of 60 amps (or even 75 Amps) could safely be passed through an 8 AWG wire, IF it is for a
very short time (a few minutes).  Otherwise, the wire's temp will rise very quickly.

John