[DeTomaso] Alternator found

Brian bd8134 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 21:39:58 EDT 2012

The stock battery cable to the amp meter is 8 maybe 6 gauge and not designed for more than maybe 80 amps.
The cable gauge required depends on the length, expected load and possibly if it is in free air to cool.
There are many sites out there to calculate the size, here is one.
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WireSizeCalc.html

Worse situation is a battery low on charge from cranking after a troublesome warm start, ac, cooling fans, electric fuel pump, headlights, etc on.
The full amperage required to charge the battery and power all the electrics will feed through the cable running from the alternator to the fuse panel / main feed.
This high reading you won't see on the amp meter, it will only show the battery charge amperage, this is when you might be cooking the wiring.
I think most vendors supply a new cable with their alternators.
A 4 or 2 gauge cable is a wise choice depending on the alternator.