[DeTomaso] Alternator found

David D Fisher fisher95020 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 19:34:51 EDT 2012

Should be ok,  the alternator self regulates, so if nothing is consuming, then it doesn't produce.   The only scenario I was concerned about is all the consumers on and a nearly dead battery.  That's probably the case where the alt puts out full power and for a sustained period, and all of that power goes through the ammeter, of course.

I checked the stock wiring to the ammeter and its the same gauge as cable supplied with the new Alt so that part should be safe.   I'm not sure at what point the internals of the Ammeter melt down, but my experience is most heat occurs at corroded terminals where there is a resistance.   I have my dash apart already so connectors are cleaned and new star washers applied everywhere.

I'd be curious if anyone has had an ammeter apart.  I am expecting a large chunk of metal with a coil around it that could probably easily handle the power of 200A @ 14V, but I could be wrong.

Having written all this blah blah,  I just realized you were joking ;-)  ("lose all their smoke").