[DeTomaso] Coolant drain

David D Fisher fisher95020 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 20:25:08 EDT 2012

I'm collecting ideas again.   I have not yet found a satisfactory way to drain the coolant on my car.   I have a Fluidyne rad and if you open the drain cock it will run all down the front bodywork and make a large mess and take a long time. My current approach is to pull the hose off the front of the long pipe just before it heads up to the rad, and while that drains nice and quickly it also creates two opposing rivers and a general mess all over the floor.

I know I will be doing this a good 4 or 5 times in the next year and want a better solution.

My best idea so far is to weld exhaust sensor bungs (with plugs) into the 2 underbody pipes back near the motor and use those as drain cocks.   They should drain pretty fast and clear both the rad and the block.  I dont want a drain cock hanging down from the pipes.

 Any better ideas?

Thanks

David