[DeTomaso] Italian Car Fest - Dallas

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 16:58:02 EDT 2012

Yesterday we celebrated Italian Car Fest in Dallas with beautiful
weather and some really nice cars. Panteras present included Mike
DiTucci who came in 2nd place in our class, Gene Orr in his GT5 clone
who won the class, Oklahoman Jerry Knotts in his '71(?) GT5 dual
turbo, new owner Craig Ferrara in a 10,000 mile all original yellow
'73 Pantera, John Johnson, and Todd Reid who starting assembling his
new motor on thursday and got it done and installed in time to drive
it onto the show grounds, and  my white '74 L.

They had an interesting twist this year. They invited cars that had an
Italian Connection but were generally not considered to be Italian
cars. Examples included an Italian designed Rolls Royce, the
Pininfarina designed Cadillac Allante, the TR6 designed by Michelotti,
DeLorean by Giugiaro and the Best in Show BMW M1.

That's right, a BMW M1. As the owner of the car said, it was nothing
more than a Pantera in concept: chassis with double wishbone
suspension by Dallara,  body designed and built in Italy by Giugiaro
at Ital Design, and then off to Germany where they installed the 635
CSL engine and ZF -2 transaxle.

Pretty cool!

Jeff
6559