[DeTomaso] Headlight motor wiring problems

Jerry R Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Mon Sep 3 20:03:25 EDT 2012

Trying to get ready for the Italian Car Fest in Dallas this week-end.

Worked today on electrical issues on my new to me car.  The PO told me that
there were electrical issues with the car.  The issues were that the
headlights would come on but the doors did not open.  Also said that the
windows didn't work.  He failed to mention the gas gauge, tachometer, turn
signals and a few other things.
Worked on the headlight problem after fixing the gas sending unit.  There
were wires loose under the dash and repurposed switches.  After about 2
hours with a test light and VOM, I was not able to find a problem that would
keep the doors from lifting.  Went to the emergency knob and found that the
knob would only go a few turns in either direction.  Also saw that the gear
on the rocker was stripped.  Finally figured the problem with the motor
after crawling into the drivers wheel well.  The motor was gone and only the
wiring was left dangling.

I do feel a bit dense for not verifying that everything was there before
chasing all the wiring.  I did find that it does not have relays for the
lights, so that is scheduled for this winter.

Just wondering if there is a suggested replacement motor like the window
motor replacements.

Thanks in advance,
jerry
1605 4073