[DeTomaso] Cable Shifter

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 12:57:31 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:24 PM,  <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:
>Often the cause is that the support bearing comes loose from the chassis, OR the trunnion mount on the chassis cracks and flexes, which does the same thing.

Cable shifters sound like a solution in search of a problem. The stock
system is simple, has few working parts, is easy to set, and seems
relatively maintenance free to me. I'm guessing the real problem we
are trying to overcome is a rather balky/finicky transmission, not the
linkage.

I recently upgraded to PPCs heim joint trunion and shifting is even
smoother and seems more precise vs the stock system. The system
includes the trunion heim joint and a new long stainless rod.

On the other hand, I applaud Gary for trying different things. Many
times innovations are the result of lots of experiments. As Mike Drew
might have quoted, innovation is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration.
(Thomas Edison actually said it was 99% and 1%!)

Jeff
6559