[DeTomaso] Cable Shifter

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 04:42:33 EDT 2012

In a message dated 8/31/12 3:30:08 PM, coreyjprice at gmail.com writes:

> I think the way to make the shift rods stiffer is to increase their
> diameter.

Correct, Then of course you'll find interferences going past the left side
motor mount and the edge of the bellhousing/inner rear fender clearances.
And the need for a bigger support eye. The support- eye is key to getting the
shifter to work right, as our shift-shaft is really one of the legendary
'johnson-rod' linkages. I liked Tomas' modified heim-joint support with a
bronze sleeve enough to build one of my own.
Except for the high heat from the header right next to it, a linear ball
bearing in its housing would be nice in place of the support eye. But they
usually have plastic ball-guides and need grease & seals, none of which will
survive that environment very long. FWIW- J Deryke