[DeTomaso] red light cameras

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 28 15:13:20 EDT 2012

In a message dated 10/28/12 11 49 12, will.kooiman at gmail.com writes:

> You could argue that they make the
> intersections safer, but I bet if you ran a before/after study of
> accidents,
> there is no measurable difference.
>

>>>Actually, there is a difference--studies have shown that accidents go UP
at intersections controlled by red light cameras.   This is principally for
two reasons:

1)   Municipalities deliberately (and illegally) reprogram the lights so
that the yellow light is of insufficient duration in order to increase the
number of red light tickets; the light turns red too soon, and people who are
expecting a 'normal' duration yellow light find themselves entering the
intersection when cross traffic has been given a green.   Boom.

2)   When people figure out that the game is rigged, as soon as they see
the light turn yellow, they slam on the brakes, regardless of traffic behind
them.   Drivers behind are caught out.   Boom.   Rear-end collision.

Safetly is not the issue with these things--they are ALL about revenue
enhancement, even if it results in an increase in accidents/injuries.

It's a scandal that has been vigorously prosecuted by the National
Motorists Ass'n....