[DeTomaso] nasty carb mess

Haas, John john at haasline.com
Sun Oct 28 12:16:25 EDT 2012

I think it did get by the filter. I'd just rebuilt carb and cleaned the
hard-line to it so it was clean. That only left about 20" of Teflon lined
flex hose. This gunk is extremely fine but it settles out FAST. A tub of
fresh gas cleaned it up quickly and the sediment fell right out. I also
failed to mention that while running it a couple weeks ago I ran the tank
out of gas and the pick up tube sock had been removed about 24 years ago
when I ran out of gas and clogged that up. I'm sure I picked up a pile of
crap then. Yesterday I pumped gas out via the fuel pump and this old gas is
dark amber even after being diluted and it was full of black bits that leave
a sticky rubbery residue behind. I reckon I'll drain and flush the tank and
replace the fuel pump and the few inches of rubber fuel line I have. I'd
better hurry as I'm not going to suffer the embarrassment of hosting a club
event without a running car. It will be plenty challenging trying to relax
at my Indian Princess and other family camping trip between now and then. Of
course that's not the only thing needing done...