[DeTomaso] Replacement Alternator

B Hower b.hower3400 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 16:16:27 EDT 2012

I like your thinking on this one Mike.

Bud #3400

--- On Thu, 10/18/12, MikeLDrew at aol.com <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

From: MikeLDrew at aol.com <MikeLDrew at aol.com>
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Replacement Alternator
To: rob at dumoulins.net, jefude at yahoo.com
Cc: detomaso at realbig.com
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2012, 2:46 PM

In a message dated 10/18/12 11 52 35, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> I'm curious. Why do you want to keep the old VR setup?
>

>>>After I had 'upgraded' to a GM-style alternator with internal regulator,
which was a rather expensive thing, I was made aware of something:

1)   If my regulator takes a dump, I get to buy an expensive new
alternator/regulator.

2)   If my alternator takes a dump, I get to buy an expensive new
alternator/regulator.

Whereas, if I'd kept the stock scheme and my regulator quit, I could be
back on the road in minutes for $25.

Not to mention the fact that switching to a new-style alternator requires a
bunch of rewiring and headscratching, and (if you use a one-wire
alternator), defeats the alternator warning light on the dash.

If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely have gone the KISS
route and just purchased a higher-output, stock-replacement alternator, and a
modern electronic replacement for the stock voltage regulator.   The combined
cost is less than an all-in-one unit, too.