[DeTomaso] Factory Shunt? was Re: Ammeter,

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Thu Oct 18 13:39:37 EDT 2012

Why go to all of this effort to keep your ammeter from being a fire hazard?
Why not eliminate the danger altogether and make your Pantera more
serviceable at the same time? Send your OEM ammeter to a gauge shop and have
voltmeter workings installed in it. They can set it up so the needle points
straight up at 12 volts, 13.5 volts or wherever you prefer. Either way, it
will still appear stock. I'm also told that Don Byars has a source for
Veglia Voltmeters that match the Pantera gauges, although I haven't seen one
to confirm this. With the ammeter gone you can install M/F connectors on
everything in the gauge panel, so you can then remove the whole panel in a
couple of minutes.

Autometer has an interesting FAQ on Ammeters vs Voltmeters on their web
site:

http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_answer.aspx?sid=1
<http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_answer.aspx?sid=1&qid=5> &qid=5