[DeTomaso] Fuel tank out

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 16 15:44:35 EDT 2012

Garth, if there are leaks, as I had from the seam in my tank, I would
recommend coating it if it can be discerned that the tank is not
otherwise comprimised.  To do that I would recommend having it acid
dipped to remove all rust and debris and then do an internal inspection
(not hard to do if all the "attachments" are removed).

When I rebuilt my car, I had a leak along the seam and decided to fix it
after I had the tank dipped to remove all rust and found out that other
than the seam, the tank was solid.  I used the POR 15 product made
specifically to seal tanks and did the fix myself.

After 10 years the tank has held up with no sign of deterioration, as
well as my fuel filters showing no sediment or flacking of the sealer.
The key to successfully sealing the tank is to insure the tank is
pristine (bare metal with no rust) before the sealer is applied.

However, if a tank is marginal and to remove all doubts as to whether it
will leak, do as Garth recommends and get a new tank. The money spent
will be worth it if you do not have to remove the engine to replace the
tank in the future due to it leaking.

Dick Koch - Atlanta