[DeTomaso] Relays, Fans, Ammeter, second thoughts and project expansion

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 14 22:58:35 EDT 2012

In a message dated 10/14/12 15 08 25, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> Starting to question the wisdom of adding another wire to the ammeter to
> feed
> the fans, now that it's installed of course.  Why not tap off the pink
> wires at
> the fuse box, which are on the same circuit and likely a shorter path to
> the
> alternator?  I think that was the approach in "Volts of Confidence" too.
>

>>>The VofC mod involves adding a second fusebox to drastically shorten and
improve the current path for the fans.   The aux fuseblock is powered by a
large-gauge wire hooked to the back of the ammeter; power wires then go from
that fusebox directly to the fan relays, which are still switched normally.
  (The fans are grounded locally with diodes as well).   The problem with
that scheme is that the fans are powered all the time, and will run on after
the ignition is switched off.   Rick Moseley deals with that by adding more
relays, so the power from the aux fusebox to the fan relays passes through
ignition-switched relays.