[DeTomaso] Relays, Fans, Ammeter, second thoughts and project expansion

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Sun Oct 14 18:07:42 EDT 2012

Years ago on this forum I made note of a Bosch relay with a "locking socket", a
socket that would snap onto another socket, you can create a line of relays of
unlimited number and length.  I've got a couple on the Pantera and about six
snapped together on another car. I put the JC Whitney PN on the forum.

But someone threw out all my JC Whitney catalogs, going back to '68.  So I don't
know what JC Whitney part number to order anymore.  They kind of look like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-30-40-AMP-BOSCH-STYLE-RELAYS-LOCKING-SOCKETS-5-PK-/140346676886?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ad505696&vxp=mtr

Note these are "Bosch style" but look like they might interchange with what I
already have.

Starting to question the wisdom of adding another wire to the ammeter to feed
the fans, now that it's installed of course.  Why not tap off the pink wires at
the fuse box, which are on the same circuit and likely a shorter path to the
alternator?  I think that was the approach in "Volts of Confidence" too.

Generally, there's one huge red wire coming from the ignition switch, powers the
fans, AC, other things.  Is the consensus to put everything powered by the big
red wire on a relay, or just the cooling fans?

Well, I'm not going to move until I locate some more snap-together relays, maybe
someone saved my input from so many years ago, or knows another source of
these Bosch snap-togethers.

Thanks,

GD