[DeTomaso] Ammeter, was Re: Key difficult to turn

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Sun Oct 14 13:04:51 EDT 2012

Thanks Bill.

By good fortune I guessed correctedly on both counts, the battery is connected
to the terminal marked "-" and the black wire is on "+".  My new extra loads
wire is also on the plus.

But I started the engine, the needle waves almost to the peg on the plus side, I
turn on the headlights, it waves over nearly to the peg on the minus side.
Which is fine, but the terminals are getting hot.  Too hot to touch.  No idea if
the heat is coming from the crimps, the connections, from inside the unit.

Are the plain washers shown here meant to improve the connection? I left those
out, wanting the serrated washers to bite into the terminals directly.

http://www.panteraplace.com/Electrical/Taylor%20amp3.jpg

Is there a connections-improving paste out there?  The rubber boots over the
nuts, though important for safety, are just going to keep the heat in.

Also thought I might add a full-size nut on top of the thin nut, move the
terminals/source of heat away from the plastic.

For years I've had a fan pointed at the radio to keep it from getting so hot.
Maybe time for a second fan ?

Thanks again,

GD