[DeTomaso] ZF chatter

L GRAY tipo874a at msn.com
Fri Oct 12 10:20:14 EDT 2012

Jack, Chuck  and all. I have heard this rattle in ZF transaxles many times and upon tear down, found absolutely no reason for the noise. I assumed originally either the nose needle bearing directly behind the input seal housing was loose ( these will migrate into the case after some vibration in the driveline occurs sometimes ). Or the intermediate double row roller bearing has too much clearance.
       I have installed a brand new set of bearings ( every bearing in the case) and still had this noise occasionally.
I have thought on this many times and honestly think what is happening is one of the roller bearings ( which are a very loose fit on the shafts ) occasionally stops rotating and then gets grabbed by either the shaft or the oil film build up hydraulically binds the shaft and bearing together and the bearing.             " jumps" and vibrates as it accelerates.
       Don't know for sure ..........

Leslie A. Gray