[DeTomaso] FUN RALLY - EAST?

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 19:55:40 EDT 2012

I'm sure others will repond but the reason there is a Fun Rally is not
because of POCA, per se. The Fun Rally is organized by Pantera people who
happen to be POCA members. The Las Vegas Fun Rally was started and was
run by 4 couples for years, and BTW, those 4 couples were not all West
coast people. They organized it to get the max participation so it was,
rightly so, a West coast oriented event. Later some other people
volunteered to take up the work involved and now, members of the Phoenix
chapter have volunteered do the work for at least one more year. It is a
big undertaking.

POCA helps a little with logistics and with the Raffle but they don't run
it. In spite of the fact that POCA does not organize the Fun Rally, it
benefits from the proceeds of the Auction. It's a not inconsiderable amount
and is important to the club.

So, I think we need to disassociate POCA membership benefits from the Fun
Rally. They are 2 different things. Other clubs have a more geographically
diverse membership and their local chapters take up the responsibility
for a moving national club event. We don't seem to have that geographic
diversity and as a result the local chapters aren't big enough or don't
want to take such a big responsibility.

Having said that, there have been a number of regional events over the
years that were organized by local Pantera people, POCA people. We used to
have a 3 day regional event for Italian Car Fest here in Dallas and one
year we even brought over Tom Tjaarda and had 35 cars from several
different states and people from as far away as CA and OH attend. On the
East Coast, there was a regional race weekend, actually two different ones,
at Pocono where they'd get 30-40 cars. I think one still continues each
year in May, la Bella Macchina. The guys in San Francisco organize the
activities at Pebble each year, including the Corral at the Historic Races.
The guys in Canada organized a trip across the Canadian Rockies a few years
ago that was well attended.  And Michael is getting some traction with the
Tail of the Dragon run, which, BTW, I'm looking forward to for next year.
The key thing to note is that these are not POCA events, they are Pantera
events. In fact, it's one of the things I like about the Pantera community.
People like Michael, and me, and many others, just seem to step up and do
things. POCA isn't large enough to drive these so we do it. Accept it for
what it is and don't complain that POCA is unreceptive to hosting an event
on the East coast. They don't host any events.

Jeff
6559