[DeTomaso] AC Expansion Valve capillary tube placement

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Oct 10 22:40:36 EDT 2012

I am presently restoring a GT5 converted from a '73 model.  I acquired
the car w/o AC and am currently sourcing parts for a system with front
mounted condenser.  Searching for an expansion valve (EV), I came across
this article that was the first to provide guidance on the positioning
of the EV unit's capillary tube.
http://ra.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/literature/manuals/01/PF000G102_chapter_01.pdf

 From previous dissections of Pantera heater boxes, I surmised that the
capillary tube was slid between two rows of cooling fins in the
evaporator to determine the presence of ice.  However, this article
champions that the tube should be strategically attached to the copper
pipe exiting the evaporator between 1:00 or 10:00 on the pipe's
circumference.

Curiously, a heater box assembly I acquired for the Pantera has the
capillary tube set up this way.  This was different from other Pantera
set-ups I had seen.  I had assumed the previous mechanic had been to
lazy to insert the tube properly through the box into the evaporator.
The article I reference suggest otherwise that he may have been better
informed.  My limited experience with about 5 Panteras is that all of
them had the capillary tube inserted between the evaporator's cooling
fins through a small grometted hole on the side of the heater box.

Any insights on the best approach.

JT