[DeTomaso] Side markers, which Ford?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 15:17:48 EDT 2012

In a message dated 10/10/12 12 11 28, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> It’s pretty amazing they couldn’t find any side marker in the Ford parts
> bin that would just fit. Looking at it, it’s not as if it naturally flows
> with the lines of the genius Tom Tjaarda, it’s a recessed square hole…
>
>>>Ah, but there you're wrong.   The reflectors had to face exactly
sideways, 90 degrees to the centerline of the car, so they had to be angled to
accomodate those flowing lines of the car's design.   So they had to be
Pantera-specific.

> >Looks like the side markers for a 70s car with acres of hood and no
> space inside, maybe rear lamps in the bumpers. Doesn’t look sporty or Italian
> at all. Are they really Pantera specific?
>
>>>The housings are, yes.
>
> >Maybe I should just weld them all up?
>
>>>Some European cars came with no lights at the rear, with the housings
filled with painted sheetmetal, and a similar sheetmetal filler with a
cigarette-shaped light in the front.   Others had no lights at all in the rear, and
a simple, round light (by Carello, sourced from Fiat) in the front.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Dino-2400-Spider-124-BS-CS-Side-Marker-Light-Ne
w-/310443911861?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&
hash=item4847e62ab5

When I had my car restored, I elected to go that route and had all four
holes welded up.

Check the registry for representative examples of both types of Euro car.
I really like the clean, simple look of the single round front marker....