[DeTomaso] Key difficult to turn

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Wed Oct 10 10:31:08 EDT 2012

For a while now ( years, a couple drives ) the ignition key has been very
difficult to turn, like get the vice grips.  It moves easily from the
"locked/key out" position to the "unlocked/ACC" position, but then is very
difficult to turn to the "ignition on" position, the moves to "start" normally.

Slow steady pressure on the key seemed to work better than merely forcing it.

Or so I seem to recall.  Last night to better document the phenomenon, I paid
close attention only to find the problem has gone away, which is somehow more
worrisome.

My hunch has always been the electrical switch not the tumbler was the root
cause, though I've never observed or understood the tiny spring / tumbler moves
in and out action.

Leave it alone?  Remove and open up the electrical switch and clean the
contacts?

I might instead take this as a warning and work on re-routing the fan current
away from the switch.

Thanks,

GD