[DeTomaso] ZF chatter

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:44:22 EDT 2012

I'll thru a guess out:

Loose ZF ring gear bolts ???

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of David D Fisher
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 9:08 AM
To: Pantera mailing list
Subject: [DeTomaso] ZF chatter

This is one of those questions that is almost pointless to ask becuase it's
pretty hard to describe effectively, but here it goes.

I've noticed that when my car is idling in neutral that the ZF is making a
rather unusual chatter.  It sounds like gears rattling on each other, but it
doesnt have a period or rythym to it, almost more like a ball bearing being
thrown around randomly.    It's just loud enough that I can hear it with the
deck open and standing right over the engine, but not from inside the car.
I've been wrenching on cars for 4 decades and I have to bin this one in the
"that doesnt sound good" category, but the box seems to work fine, other
than a weak 2nd gear syncro.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David