[DeTomaso] Pantera Burnout [WAS: mickey thompson tires]

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 13:50:43 EST 2012

<< I am afraid to really do a burnout with the Pantera ZF gearbox.  has anyone been brave enough? >>

I did it, once!  Actually, I tried it on two different occasions...

The first time, I dumped the clutch at about 2000-2500 RPM and took off with tires screaming, and left two parallel stripes on the road. No brake stand.

The second time was for a video I was shooting. I wanted a prolonged smokey burnout, so I did a brake stand.  Unfortunately, my clutch was on its last legs and I stood on the brake a bit too hard.  The clutch broke free instead of the tires!  D'oh!   The funny thing is, I had no idea...  I was sitting in the car revving at 5000 rpm then let off the brake lightly so it would pick up forward momentum, but it didn't. Then the smell hit me and I knew exactly what had happened. My buddy filming said he was wondering why I was revving the engine but not letting the clutch out for the burnout, until he smelled the clutch.  I let it cool down and drove home sheepishly.

Bob Benson gets his Pantera rolling first, then rolls into the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear (IIRC) and does a nice burnout.

Here are a few others who have done it:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pantera+burnout&oq=pantera+burnout&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3..0j0i5l2.1891.3658.0.4105.15.14.0.0.0.0.266.1356.10j3j1.14.0...0.0...1ac.1.YoEWt0KpDrg