[DeTomaso] Weber IDA48 or injection?

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 19:36:23 EST 2012

Woohoo!!! I just have to respond to this one, Will.

:-)

One caveat…. I run EFI… not Webers, but my responses should be relevant.

On Nov 24, 2012, at 6:25 PM, Will Kooiman <will.kooiman at gmail.com> wrote:

> The linkage is a pain in the butt.  It works the best to pull from the
> side rather than using the bell crank in the valley.  But the bell crank
> in the valley looks better.

Both my cars are bell cranks in the valley. Mucho better than pulling from the side.
I ran a side pull for years and it was very sensitive at low end. The bell crank is much more progressive.

> You lose the lumpy exhaust with Webers.  The idle is very smooth.  It
> tames the car quite a bit.
Same with IR EFI.

> You have to cut the deck lid.  You can cut straight across and it looks
> factory.  If you cut two half circles, you can tell the factory didn't do
> it.

The factory didn't do it…. Oh, well….

> You lose your vacuum port, so you need to do something with your vacuum
> assisted brakes and your PCV.  Without a PCV, you mist oil all over the
> place.

I put mine in cylinder #2. Never had a problem.

> Lots of people run Weber intakes with fuel injection.  It seems to work
> pretty well once you get the EFI adjusted.

Yes, but it does take awhile when you have 'issues'.

> I prefer Webers, though.  If I weren't running Webers, I'd try a tunnel
> ram with 2 Holleys.

Two 4 bbls would be cool.

FWIW,
Kirby