[DeTomaso] [detomaso]Pantera weight savings ideas

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Nov 18 19:00:05 EST 2012

Over 30 years I've made about 80 changes to our '72 L, mostly for weight
savings and handling. We're down to 2790 lbs ready to run with 1/2 tank of
gas, still with L bumpers front & rear, heater & AC. soundproofing plus a
stereo and a CB. Our Pantera looks stock, is driveable & currently licensed. Ron
Wade in WA state has gone further- his GT5-S is down to about 2500 lbs with
(reportedly) more to come; he has changed literally everything. It's a
fascinating 15-year project to date but the car literally has never been
registered or on the road. Too bad no one has time to do a feature article for POCA
on Ron's Pantera......

Looking at what you've done already, 2500 lbs ready to go is possible. The
only big chunks left are an alloy block which will shave off around 40 lbs,
delending on which one you use and what crank you use. An aluminum flywheel
is good for 15-18 lbs. Commercial aluminum rear uprights are 18 lbs
lighter/pair with stock axles. An average fiberglas hood & deck won't remove that
much- my 'glas hood is 2 lbs lighter than a stock steel hood. A 'glas decklid
can remove up to maybe 30 lbs if you also do something about the hinges and
deck-shocks. Real carbon-fiber body panels have the potential to remove much
more weight than fiberglas, but finding a trustworthy fabrication shop is a
problem. Several owners have sent money and got nothing from a few
disappearing "carbon experts'. Most commercial 'carbon' panels are a thin carbon
outer layer with fiberglas underneath.

All the rest is a thousand little pieces. In your Dec POCA News I detail my
efforts in fabricating aluminum parts of the halfshaft assemblies, which
collectively removes about 7 lbs. A dozen years back, another 10 lbs came off
our ZF transaxle itself: alloy pieces replace the cast iron sides & back
end. If you're really set on digging into this further, e-mail   me off-line
and I can detail virtually everything in the car, the costs and some pitfalls
to avoid. Cheers- J Deryke <jderyke at aol.com>