[DeTomaso] Servo heater control

David Fisher fisher95020 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 14:24:18 EST 2012

Great stuff, Gary.  Thanks for the ongoing education.

I havent used the Arduino, but I have explored it a little and it looks
like a great and inexpensive development environment.   I havent programmed
a controller for 20 years, but I am tempted.

  I cant take much credit for either the nice machining or the electronics
on this one.   I bought from Servo City, per your previous
recommendation.   I modified their 2 channel servo controller to change
from pots to rotary swtiches and added 2 5v regulators to provide 2A @5V
for running the servos.   I did machine the small arms that attach to the
top of the servo bearing head and parts of the bearing assembly to replace
the stock nylon bushing.

http://www.servocity.com/html/servoblocks.html

http://www.servocity.com/html/dual_servo_driver.html

Given that the servo blocks provide a good strong bearing to handle side
forces, I went with inexpensive, moderate torque servos.   I figure I could
always uprate the servoes as all the interfaces (mech / elec) are
interchangable.   If you order from servo city, you can specify the servo
to have 180 degree movement rather than the usual 90 degrees and then set
the endstops electronically via the resistor values on the rotary
switches.

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-430bh_servo.html

David