[DeTomaso] NPC: What has made you laugh the most in a car?

P6746 at aol.com P6746 at aol.com
Fri Nov 16 15:20:27 EST 2012

I can confirm Mike's rental car story at Pocono.  However, none of us  were
24 anymore, and Mike was the only one that wasn't inbibing.  I just  pity
the next person who rented that particular car.  Bob Reid

In a message dated 11/16/2012 1:50:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
MikeLDrew at aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 11/16/12 10 40 12, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk  writes:

> Here's my moment. A friend and I went to the movies in  his dad's Ford
> Taunus
> 26M. Fine car, only had one problem.  The radio would cut out, and then my
> friend fixed it by hammering on  the dash. Worked every time, though
> sometimes he had to hit it twice.  On that trip it happened 3 times.
Then,
> have some fun,  when he looked left, I quickly turned off the radio. He
> thought it had  just cut out again, and started hammering the dash. More
> and
>  more, and harder and harder. After 10-15 seconds I couldn't hold back  my
> laughter, he stopped, looked strangely at me, and then I turned on  the
> radio. It still worked... :-)
>

>>>I was  about 24, and had taken three friends (all guys, of course) to
the
movies  in my beater VW Scirocco.   When we came out, the parking lot was
somewhat empty and it was raining.   After we all got in, I  announced that
didn't want to use reverse, this despite the fact that  there was a barrier
preventing me from going forward.

I put it in  first gear, set the parking brake, turned the wheel all the
way
to the  left, and dumped the clutch.   Lit up the front tires, and the car
did a slow, smoky, 180-degree turn in place, then released the brake and
drove off. :>)

Lori and I had dinner with Les Gray in Phoenix  last weekend, and he
reminded me of some epic rental car abuse that I  performed with him as a
hapless
backseat passenger (along with Bobby Byars  and Marino Perna--imagine the
three
of them drunk as skunks, crammed in  the back of a compact car!), back at
Pocono in 1993 or so.    Lots of stories in a short amount of time,
including
making a right turn  through a field at about 40-50 mph when somebody said,
"turn right here"  (intending to turn on the upcoming road of course),
pulling
off the road  at 60 mph and driving through a shallow pond, then back on
the
road, just  because, and driving for quite a few miles at 60-70 mph with a
completely  flat front tire, because the space-saver spare had a 45-mph
speed
limitation, but there was no published speed limitation for a flat,
conventional tire (the tire was completely gone by the time we got back to
the hotel,
and the cabin was filled with tire smoke and bits of rubber  that came
pouring out of the A/C vents).

Whee!!!!  :>)

Detomaso  Forum Managed by POCA

Archive Search Engine Now Available at  http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/