[DeTomaso] NPC: What has made you laugh the most in a car?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 16 13:49:33 EST 2012

In a message dated 11/16/12 10 40 12, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> Here's my moment. A friend and I went to the movies in his dad's Ford
> Taunus
> 26M. Fine car, only had one problem. The radio would cut out, and then my
> friend fixed it by hammering on the dash. Worked every time, though
> sometimes he had to hit it twice. On that trip it happened 3 times. Then,
> have some fun, when he looked left, I quickly turned off the radio. He
> thought it had just cut out again, and started hammering the dash. More
> and
> more, and harder and harder. After 10-15 seconds I couldn't hold back my
> laughter, he stopped, looked strangely at me, and then I turned on the
> radio. It still worked... :-)
>

>>>I was about 24, and had taken three friends (all guys, of course) to the
movies in my beater VW Scirocco.   When we came out, the parking lot was
somewhat empty and it was raining.   After we all got in, I announced that I
didn't want to use reverse, this despite the fact that there was a barrier
preventing me from going forward.

I put it in first gear, set the parking brake, turned the wheel all the way
to the left, and dumped the clutch.   Lit up the front tires, and the car
did a slow, smoky, 180-degree turn in place, then released the brake and
drove off. :>)

Lori and I had dinner with Les Gray in Phoenix last weekend, and he
reminded me of some epic rental car abuse that I performed with him as a hapless
backseat passenger (along with Bobby Byars and Marino Perna--imagine the three
of them drunk as skunks, crammed in the back of a compact car!), back at
Pocono in 1993 or so.   Lots of stories in a short amount of time, including
making a right turn through a field at about 40-50 mph when somebody said,
"turn right here" (intending to turn on the upcoming road of course), pulling
off the road at 60 mph and driving through a shallow pond, then back on the
road, just because, and driving for quite a few miles at 60-70 mph with a
completely flat front tire, because the space-saver spare had a 45-mph speed
limitation, but there was no published speed limitation for a flat,
conventional tire (the tire was completely gone by the time we got back to the hotel,
and the cabin was filled with tire smoke and bits of rubber that came
pouring out of the A/C vents).

Whee!!!! :>)