[DeTomaso] NE Panteras...OK?

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Thu Nov 8 14:12:58 EST 2012

What a tragedy. :-(

1. When putting my salt water boat up for the winter, I first let it run on
fresh water garden hose for 15 minutes, and then radiator coolant for 15
seconds. Now I don't suggest dipping the Pantera in coolant, but maybe spray
it in a light dose of some rust inhibitor on metal panels to prevent rust
(coolant will hurt the paint)

2. The engine: I once had a head gasket fail in a previous blown boat. We
boated home anyway, on the sea you can't just stop the engine, step out and
call for help. When I got home the oil was mayonnaise dripping with salty
water. Got the boat home, let it run on fresh water. In the next hours we
flushed and changed the oil 4-5 times. The first times it was mayonnaise,
but then it got to look more and more like oil. The next day I took it
apart, a little mayonnaise stuck in many places, but no rust. Found a head
gasket (special) in week and put the engine together. It still works 10
years later, which is an impressive thing for any blown marine engine.

3. Some pros out there must know how this is done, contact them?

Mikael