[DeTomaso] Brake Flaring Tool

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 14:20:52 EST 2012

FWIW, double flairing is only necessary if the tubing you're using is made
with a seam; the fold in a double flair tends to keep the weaker seam from
splitting. 'Std'. brake and fuel line from the '40s to present was originally
made of 'Bundy-weld'- a sheet of mild steel bent into a cylinder and
seam-brazed.
Seamless tubing can be single flaired without risk, and it's nearly
impossible to successfully double-flair stainless tubing due to work-hardening
during the first flair bend. I've never used a European   ISO or 'bubble-flair'
tool but it appears to be easier on tubing than U.S double-flair. The Euro
tubing is also slightly smaller in OD than U.S. tubing so most of our
flairing tools don't grip it tight enough to work very well. Cheers- J Deryke