[DeTomaso] MPCP; More Pantera Content than a Prius - Dropped valve on Chevy 383.

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 23:26:44 EDT 2012

We were scooting along at 60 mph on Lake Tahoe two weekends ago when there was a faint strange noise (the exhaust note is reasonably loud from twin 500HP Chevy's at full song) and then we lost oil pressure on the port engine. On initial inspection I thought the GIL wet exhaust headers had failed as the oil was emulsified.

Then as I pulled the engine out of the hull this weekend I saw a small hole in the oil pan, not good. On tear down of the top half this is what faced me in # 7 cylinder...

These were quality one piece valves, the water ingress was from the cracked cylinder wall. Thankfully SBC blocks are easy to come by and the motor only has 85 hours so we'll reuse as many components as possible after magnafluxing.

The downside is there is the one power boat race of the season on Tahoe June 23/24 so I guess I'll have to wait another year :<(

The upside is we are going to install super allloy exhaust valves in anticipation of bolting on superchargers to make up for the lack of air density at 6250 ft altitude. That should be good to get her back up to her sea level ~90 mph.

And the minimal Pantera Content: This is a good time to remind anyone still running stock Ford two piece valves in their Cleveland that this can easily happen to you... Yeah lame, but it's better than talking about battery powered cars that look like prehistoric Horseshoe crabs.

Julian