[DeTomaso] Great new brakes, but stalling when braking

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Mon May 28 22:36:14 EDT 2012

That's exactly what happened to me.

New Holleys come with the flute, but not the jet extensions.

I hit the brakes hard with the air filter off and watched a bunch of gas
come pouring out the boosters - not the vents tubes.

It helped a lot to lower the float level.

It completely went away when I leveled the carburetor.  I did it with
redneck engineering.  I bought a plastic 2" carburetor spacer and sanded it
with a belt sander until it had the right angle.  I kept checking with a
level until I was happy that everything was okay.

A better solution is to mill the carburetor pad on the intake.  I didn't
want to do that because I had a fairly rare intake.

You don't have to bend the carburetor studs or redrill the manifold.  You
can keep them at the original slanted angle.  You can redrill to be
perfectly perpendicular if it bugs you, but the slant isn't so bad that you
can't keep the original holes.  I know - more redneck, but it works.