[DeTomaso] Headlight bucket adjustment

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 28 20:19:57 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/28/12 9 47 21, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> After getting a new paint job my right front headlight bucket is now
> hitting the rear recess in the fender.
> It has chipped the paint.  How can I adjust the bucket so that it no
> longer hits the recess?

It's a very simple, very difficult job.

Simple, because it's just nuts and bolts and washers (shims).   Difficult,
because it can take a lot of time and trial and error.

First of all, do NOT allow the bucket to scratch the paint any further!

Jack up the car, remove the front tire and the access panel in front of the
tire, to gain access to the back side of the bucket.   The bucket has four
studs which penetrate the pad which is welded to the headlight bar.   The
holes are slotted and oval, so there is a LOT of available movement for the
bucket, relative to the pad, both fore and aft, and side-to-side.   Angular
problems are solved by placing washers between the back side of the bucket and
the face of the pad.

It's not unusual to have washers on the front but not the back, or two
washers on the left rear and none on the other three, or whatever.    You just
do what you need to do.

Raise and lower the lights MANUALLY with the knob next to the radiator, to
test for freedom from scraping.   Also, place masking tape along the edges
of the body so that the paint on the side of the buckets isn't scratched
during the process.

If yours has already been scratched, go ahead and remove the bucket
completely and trot back down to the body shop and have them touch it up for you,
before you proceed any further.

Good luck!