[DeTomaso] One electrical glitch to go

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Mon May 28 14:53:18 EDT 2012

Rob,

Sounds like a bad hazard switch or a bad connection at the molex type connector for the hazard switch.

>According to the wiring diagram, the light blue wire operates the right
flasher lights.

>>>Correct.  It should connect to the "R" terminal of the hazard switch, although it can be interchanged
with the "L" terminal, which has a blue / black wire.

>If I disconnect the blue wire from the hazard switch both
the switch and wire show power when the flashers operate even when
disconnected.

>>>Whatever you are using as a tester may not consume enough current to allow a bad contact / connection
to "show-up".  There should not be any +12 volts on the disconnected wire.

>I'm assuming the dash indicator light allows power to flow
back

>>>No.  If you still have the 4-wire flasher, the dash indicator receives +12 volts on one terminal (red wire), and
the other terminal (orange wire) goes to the flasher's KBL terminal, where it goes to ground via a set of contacts
inside of the flasher.  The later cars (that came with a 3-wire flasher) had one terminal of the dash indicator's lamp socket connected to the light blue wire (right turn lamps), and the other terminal of the dash indicator's
lamp socket was connected to the blue /black wire (left turn lamps).  If you had this configuration, then you would
get a voltage reading on the disconnected light blue wire.

John