[DeTomaso] Door adjustment

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 28 14:11:31 EDT 2012

Door alignment is truely a pain due to the sheer size & bulk of the piece
but Rob's procedure works. It's also possible the door hinge pin has worn the
aluminum hinge castings; if so, the only fix is hinge replacement from the
vendors, or boring the resulting egg-shaped holes out and adding bronze
bushings or an oversized pin. A little lube once in a while helps, as does NOT
closing the door by grabbing the window frame.
Once you have the door adjusted to your liking, if your locks still don't
work, try tightening the flathead screws that hold the lock/latch mechanism
into the door sheet metal. I had to use an impact driver to fix one. And even
that won't work if certain internal parts of the latch lose their staking
and begin to move- I had to drill, then add a tiny screw and nut on one car.
There's not much tolerance allowed by the mechanism and you'll have to
remove the assembly from the car and play with it on the bench to see whats not
working quite right. The bits are pot metal or plastic and are delicate so if
something is broken, you are SOL. Good luck- J DeRyke