[DeTomaso] Battery questions, again.

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 11:55:27 EDT 2012

I needed a new battery for the Ultima and the replacement factory recommended Varley Red Top was $430, so I switched to the equivalent Odyssey ER40 (Extreme Racing), which was $130 less. It's a tiny little thing, but kicks the Chebbie over every time with no issues and cold cranking is usually a longer demand for me as I don't have a cold start circuit.

The Varley was a great battery too and lasted 8 years and probably would have gone longer had I known you cannot high boost start/charge the Dry Cells, so a lesson  One other advantage of the Dry cells is you can get creative with mounting as they don't need to be upright. I once saw a picture of one mounted under the front trunk upside down in a Pantera, the equivalent of the drop battery box, without the cutting and welding.

On the other hand I have been going through Optima batteries in 6 - 24 months in the Pantera (I did have a parasitic drain sometimes, which I think I have cured with a new hazard switch), so the next battery I buy for the Pantera will be an Odyssey. For each car/battery I now have a CTEK intelligent trickle charger too. The gell cell or AGM batteries just don't recover well from full discharge.

Julian