[DeTomaso] strength of stock valve springs and ZDDP required

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat May 26 17:04:48 EDT 2012

I don't think it does that.
It just says you have to consider the specifics of the engine involved.

For Panteras, my Workshop Manual says it has 299 and 95 lb springs, so 400 total max.

Per the data in the post 600ppm ZDDP should protect up to 480lbs at a maximum of 3600 rpm.

So unless you have stronger valve springs or spend a significant amount of time above 3600rpm even 800ppm is probably OK and 1100-1200ppm should be fine.

Jim O