[DeTomaso] [TPR] Piston Ring Rotation.

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat May 26 16:06:19 EDT 2012

Dear Asa,

            The first and second engines I built were done with the standard
ring positioning protocol.  I then learned the truth: the rings *move*
during engine operation.  They do not remain permanently in place.    The
first two engines were with Aussie heads and made 401 and 385 hp.

            The next two engines were built with 4v heads and absolute
carefree disregard for the prime ring directive.  Dyno testing showed 440
and 485 hp.

            I am about to begin the next engine and I will continue with my
laissez-faire piston ring assembly.  It doesn't seem to hurt engine
performance.....!

                  Scientifically yours,  Chuck Engles