[DeTomaso] what crankshaft to get?

Chance Dorsey chance.dorsey at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 02:02:00 EDT 2012

Mike is absolutely correct on the matter of Chinese materials vs Chinese machining.  I found out the hard way that when it comes to building your motor, rule number one is to assume that none of your parts fit until you verify that they do.  In other words.....trust no one.  Not the machinist, not the company that sold you the crank.  No one!

I'm sure any veteran engine builder learned this lesson a long time ago, but the 393C I just finished was the 2nd motor I've ever built.  I'm not even sure I can count the first motor as a real build since it started out as a long block.  So this was the first motor where I built it starting with a bare block.

I was so certain that I had done the right thing when I ordered my 393 rotating assembly from Probe that I marched right over to the machine shop with all my new parts and had him balance everything right off the bat.  Bad idea, because on the day that I decided to drop that crank into the block was the day that I realized that the crankshaft endplay was around .0175.  If I had checked the crank measurements before having the crank balanced I could have just sent everything back to Coast High.  Ouch.......lesson learned!!!  Long story short, I ended up spending the money I should have spent on a properly machined crank on having the crank welded and ground .010 under and thrust width brought into spec.  The gentleman who did the work for me to bring the crank back into spec is Buddy Strobeck down in San Antonio.  He came highly recommended.  However, he mentioned that he thought the forging and nitriding on the crank was high quality.  Its just that the machining was just way off.

However, I later realized that the specification differences between a Cleveland crank and Windsor crank might also be to blame.  Most Cleveland cranks are just turned down Windsor cranks right.  The only difference being the size of the mains and the width of the crank thrust surfaces.  On a Windsor the thrust surfaces are .015 wider which puts the crank I had right in the ball park of a Windsor crank.  So basically the crank I received had Cleveland sized mains and Windsor sized everything else which is normal with the exception of the thrust width surfaces which should have been machined to Cleveland specs.

The moral of the story you ask........I would completely feel comfortable with the Chinese forgings, just make sure everything fits perfect BEFORE altering anything in hopes of still being able to send it back to the manufacturer if its not right.

Thanks,

Chance Dorsey
Austin, TX