[DeTomaso] what crankshaft to get?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 24 09:24:55 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/24/12 6 04 22, rtaspl at aol.com writes:

> 1 Eagle - 4340 good price
> 2 Scat   A bit more money
> 3 Callies  more money but do I need it

I think the cost/quality curves cross at Scat.   When I was doing my
research for my stroker motor (99% of my research was "Ask Dan" it seemed, but I
did actually do some independent research too), I got turned off from Eagle
cranks.   They are a 100% Chinese deal, from what I understand.   Dan flew to
LA and we toured the Scat factory together.   Their raw material starts off
in China but all the final machine work and quality control takes place at
their facility in California.   If you buy a "Ford Racing" crank from Ford,
it's simply a rebranded Scat crank--we saw them loading cranks into Ford
boxes.

Yes, you can spend $7000 on a crankshaft, but for road-going Gomers like
us, that's way overkill.   If you were running a pro-stock car at 9000 rpm,
fine.   But for hard street use and occasional open track work, I think Scat
represents the best overall value.   And given that their forged cranks are
only about $200-300 more than their cast cranks, I can't see the reason not
to go with the better forged units....