[DeTomaso] final diagnosis of clutch problem (I think)

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sun May 20 19:30:29 EDT 2012

Well, I called CNC and they sent me a rebuild kit for the slave. Unfortunately, they now use O-rings and a different piston, so I called them and they sent me a new style piston (at no charge--kudos to them.)   So I reassembled everything and I still didn't really have convincing freeplay.  by looking at the clutch lever end of the rod and the internals of the slave, I suspected that the piston was too far into the bore and the spring was coil bound.  My guess was that as the clutch wore the lever moved forward until the piston was coil bound.

So I unbolted the lever on the clutch shaft and rotated it one spline counterclockwise, then reinstalled the slave and adjusted the rod for proper length, so I could feel the piston pushing against the return spring when I pushed the clutch lever forward and play between there and the point where it would be touching the t/o bearing.

I see numbers between 1/32 and 1/10 inch in my notes and the workshop manual updates for the freeplay at the bolt and I'm still fiddling with the final adjustment, but I think the problem is solved.

Thanks for your help.

Jim.