[DeTomaso] Detomaso Viewpoints?

LS lashdeep at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 11:07:37 EDT 2012

The steering wheel is one. The prototipo had the beautiful one piece racing seat which would've matched up with the Momo steering wheel perfectly.

If I remember correctly, didn't Ford also delete other features due to cost like lacquer paint and the use of leather inside?

The US press didn't find the stopping or handling all that impressive. While the cars here did have 900lb side mirrors installed which raised the center of gravity and increased the curb weight, Ford also had ride height increased with spacers which left Ing Dallara breaking every pencil near his drafting table. Also, where did the high dollar radial tires go that Dallara designed the car to use?

What about the vented brake rotors that the Euro spec cars had which apparently worked pretty well at triple digit speeds overseas?

I tear up when I read a Road and Track test call it unfinished or disappointing and then read a UK test call it a Bora basher and later a Countach killer.

I don't disagree that he Ford changes were made to keep the car affordable and better for daily use, like the cooling issues for low speed use in the USA. Do we care about those things though?

Interesting indeed...