[DeTomaso] Factory Mirrors on eBay

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Sat May 19 12:08:17 EDT 2012

Well shoot, this didn't turn out like I thought it might at all.  Giving the
proverbial tree a nudge did shake out a spare set of mirrors, but they didn't
fall into my lap, I got snaked on the $25 mirror set deal.

Regarding the mystery of the bullet-shaped mirrors ... could it be dealers were
only told to install "any old mirrors lying around" yet by pure coincidence many
cars got the same mirrors with the same p/n's on the base?  I don't know what
the second line in the part number means, but it doesn't match on the Torino
mirrors AFAIK.  Like the OJ trial, at some point amazing coincidences aren't.

It could be this idea spread by word of mouth among dealers, or all cars with
these mirrors came from the same dealer.  Unfortunately it requires a huge hole
in the door for the cables, and a hole in the door panel for the remote
control.  Even if not factory authorized or recommended, if your car was sold
originally with these mirrors installed, that's the original mirror for that
car.  And the nice big hole in the door is proof.

( FWIW I like the look because the bullet shape matches the shape of the
car, like a little Pantera attached to the door.)

GD