[DeTomaso] coolant Temp senders, engine block

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sat May 19 10:59:25 EDT 2012

On my MG I have a temp gauge (which does say water) but I have two
senders. One is for oil. I have a discrete switch I go back and forth
between water and oil for the same gauge.

Once water stabilizes I tend to watch oil. I know from before I put an oil
cooler on, when the engine was fresh and tight that the water temp
remained unchanged until the oil temp got up to a certain temp then it
began to carry the water up.

With an oil cooler and a the engine broke in the oil temps vary some with
the type of driving going on but it does not vary a whole lot.

The nice thing is, the oil temp is an indicator of what is going on. IF
your timing is off, you run too lean, or you re driving to hard it can be
reflected in the oil temp where as the water temp is governed by the
thermostat and generally does not change until the oil (and engine) gets
so hot the water cannot cool adequately.

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/mg2/cleanup/cleanupf1.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/gal/done5.jpg

Gary